How to Get Fit Like Detroit Tigers Slugger Miguel Cabrera
Like many Detroit Tigers fans, I am excited to see what the team is going to do this season, with reigning American League MVP Justin Verlander rockin’ as usual, the talents of slugger Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera’s move to third base and recent 25-pound weight loss.
From 1B to 3B
Acquiring Fielder this season moved Cabrera from first base to third. Although no rookie to this position (he played third base for the Florida Marlins prior to coming to Detroit), Cabrera decided it was time to make some lifestyle changes. Cabrera has had a history of weight-loss efforts and taking better care of his body.
Although Cabrera hasn’t talked publicly about his weight loss, this is how he lost weight in the past:
- Tailored his eating habits
- Worked out four hours a day five days a week
In past seasons, Cabrera included the following elements in his workouts (I added examples of exercises that fit the bill):
- Speed — moving the body or body parts fast, like high knees and heel kicks
- Agility — ability to change and control the body during rapid movements, improving quickness and coordination, like jumping exercises
- Conditioning — preparing the body for specific actions by performing repetitive drills and exercises, like shuttle runs
- Weight training — building lean muscle mass to make the body more efficient, like these weight lifting exercises
These changes ultimately led Cabrera to a stronger and healthier body to tackle third base and the 2012 Detroit baseball season.
With these elements incorporated into his workouts, I am not surprised at how Cabrera lost 25 pounds. This is a great combination for the body as it promotes weight loss, speeds up the metabolism and builds muscle.
Do you have a favorite athlete that has lost weight and if so, who?
Photo credit: Keith Allison