Living Gluten-Free? Find Healthy Restaurants, Bakeries and More
Whether you’ve been dealing with a gluten allergy all your life, or are new to the issue, finding restaurants and food markets that are sensitive to your dietary needs can be a hassle. Fear not though, they are out there; all it takes is a little digging.
Here are just a few Michigan eateries to check out for a gluten-free menu and yummy options.
- Buddy’s Pizza — Home of Detroit’s original gluten-free pizza, this restaurant has been around since 1936 and is famous for its square pies, which it has been serving since 1946 — and a gluten-free version (pdf) since 2009.
- CK Mediterranean Grille & Catering — This Detroit staple boasts that a whopping 80 percent of its menu is gluten-free, and they not only serve these great dishes, they deliver!
- Passport Pizza — Offering a little bit of everything, this Detroit business has a wide range of gluten-free choices like ribs, pizzas and chicken wings.
- Marie Catrib’s — Run by the Lebanese-born, erstwhile Yooper of the same name, this Grand Rapids eatery offers several homemade, gluten-free bread choices for sandwiches and other snacks to take home.
- Feed Your Karma — Gluten-free hand-rolled pasta, pastries, desserts and more from this Lansing bakery.
You can always find more gluten-free establishments at the Gluten Free Registry, organized by state or city.
Maybe gluten-free isn’t your only concern when it comes to dining. If you have other food allergies, AllergyEats offers a great service for finding dining that can meet your needs.
What other resources do you know of to help find local gluten-free establishments? Are there any great local treasures that need to be highlighted?
Photo credit: sanbeiji