Is Your Child Safe In Your Home?
It only takes seconds for a child to get into something that could be dangerous or even worse – fatal. A poisoning can happen by way of eating, drinking, touching or smelling.
A child is poisoned every 30 seconds in the United States, and most of the time, it happens at home. Children can be exposed to medication, pesticides, personal care products, household cleaners, or poisonous plants.
Kids Under 5 Don’t Know The Difference
Children learn through discovery at this age. They see things, pick them up and put them in their mouth. Here are other facts to be aware of, especially if you have young children:
- Mobility has increased at this age, children are able to access areas in the house that they couldn’t previously and can even move chairs to help them reach what they want.
- Also, keep in mind, products that have bright colors, are in pretty packaging and are nice smelling are especially attractive to children this age. They can’t read what the product is to know that it is harmful or not.
- Lock up all medication, vitamins, supplements etc.
- Make sure medications and the like are in a child resistant bottle. Although these are helpful in delaying a child from opening them, they are not full proof.
- Do not refer to medication as candy
- Do not change or alter labels on any product and keep products in original containers.
- Keep an eye on your child, most poisonings happen when the parent/caregiver is distracted even for a few seconds.
- Use age appropriate locks for cupboards and drawers
Candy vs Medication
Household Cleaner vs Sports Drink