11 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
Winter is the time for cold weather, snow shoveling, and most importantly: comfort foods.
I was just talking with one of my friends yesterday about how I love hot meals during the winter time, like soups and stews. We were discussing how our husbands love sandwiches, but during the winter we always crave a warm meal.
The Food Network recently came out with some Healthy Winter Meal Inspirations and I’m pretty sure they did that just for me.
Here are 11 delicious recipes. I have tried four of them so far and they were fantastic.
- Chicken Fajitas
- Fettuccine Alfredo – This is one of the recipes I tried and loved it. It is a healthier version and you’ll be surprised at what’s in the sauce. I added more vegetables and chicken to make it the main entree.
- Minestrone Soup – Just bought the ingredients to make this soup.
- Roasted Broccoli – I love this recipe. It is a delicious, easy and different way to enjoy broccoli.
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic – I have also made this and mixed red potatoes with sweet potatoes and it was delicious and nutritious.
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze – I can’t wait to make these and eat them in moderation of course. (wink, wink)
- Winter Fruit Salad – This recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of sugar, but you can use half of that and really any fruit you want or try cooking with splenda for less calories.
- Mustard Roasted Salmon
- Chicken Paillards with Herb-Tomato Salad
- Chocolate Dipped Clementines – I can’t wait to try this. “Baby oranges” + chocolate = Yum!
- Portuguese-Style Fish Stew – This dish is very similar to a Filipino stew my mom makes. One of my favorites, so I can’t wait to try it.
I love the variety of this list from side dishes and main entrees to desserts. I am looking forward to making all 11 of these dishes. One of the beautiful things about new recipes is the push to try something new and being creative with what you already have in your pantry.
Give one (or all) of these recipes a try and let me know what you think. Please share any of your favorite winter, comfort food recipes with me here. Happy and healthy cooking to all!
Photo Credit: seventyoneplace