Good for Your Gut: Homemade Sauerkraut Recipe
Try this easy recipe for a healthier, homemade sauerkraut.
Photo credit: Kim Knoch
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1-3 tbsp. of sea salt
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds (optional)
1. Shred cabbage and sprinkle with salt.
2. Knead, pound or use potato masher in a bowl. Do so until there is enough liquid to cover the cabbage, may take up to 10 minutes.
3. Place cabbage and caraway seeds in mason jar(s). Be sure that cabbage is fully covered by the liquid, if not, add a touch of water to cover cabbage completely.
4. Culture at room temperature (60-70 degrees F is ideal) for 3-14 days or until desired flavor. If using an airtight lid, be sure to release excess pressure from jar daily.
5. Once finished, use airtight lid and move to refrigerator. The sauerkraut flavor with continue to develop as it ages.