Sweet and Simple: Asian Pear Slaw
When it comes to preparing coleslaw, variety goes beyond the choice of a vinegar or mayonnaise base. A unique ingredient you may not have considered? Pears. This juicy fruit is in season from August to October and gives a tasty twist to this classic side dish.
Another reason to give this recipe a shot? Pears offer a wide range of health benefits. Some include:
- They are considered one of the highest-fiber fruits, with an average of approximately six grams per fruit.
- The phytonutrients found in pears has been associated specifically with preventing stomach cancer.
- The Boron found in pears is what our bodies use to retain calcium and has been linked to osteoporosis prevention.
- Pears are hypoallergenic, which makes them a great option for anyone with food sensitivities.
- The skin of pears has Quercetin, which has been shown to help reduce blood pressure.
If you liked this recipe, check out these articles below and be sure to subscribe to get Food updates from A Healthier Michigan right to your inbox.
- ½ head of Purple cabbage, julienned
- 2 Asian pears (also called apple pears), peeled and julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped Thai red pepper (optional)
Asian Pear Slaw
1. Whisk together the ginger, lime juice and rice vinegar, then toss with the remaining ingredients. Plate and top with fresh cilantro. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
2. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Flavour & Savour