#MIKidsCan Catch: Motivational Quotes from Football’s Best
The magic of the football locker room pep talk is cinematic gold.
You’ve seen it time and time again. Players walk in dejectedly and a charged-up coach lights a fire and sends the would-be losers back onto the field. Cue the montage of miraculous plays and watch as the underdogs emerge victorious, the words of their fearless leader ringing in their ears.
It might be a little over-the-top in the movies, but the stereotypical scenario exists for a reason. If you need proof, just check out some of the inspirational quotes we’ve rounded up from some of football’s best.
Even if you’re not a sports nut, many of these quotes apply just as readily to winning at life as they do to winning the game.
- “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” – Vince Lombardi, former Green Bay Packers coach
- “Good luck is a residue of preparation.” – Jack Youngblood, former defensive end for the Los Angeles Rams
- “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” – Lou Holtz, noteable college football coach at Notre Dame and other schools
- “Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as what he could be, and he will become what he should be.” – Jimmy Johnson, former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys and the Miami Dolphins
- “Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.” – Tom Landry, former Dallas Cowboys head coach
- “Success is not forever and failure isn’t fatal.” – Don Shula, former Miami Dolphins head coach
- “The principle is competing against yourself. It’s about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before.” – Steve Young, former quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers
- “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.” – Archie Griffin, former running back for the Cincinnati Bengals
- “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” – Jerry Rice, former wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders.
- “Positive thinking is the key to success in business, education, pro football, anything that you can mention. I go out there thinking that I’m going to complete every pass.” – Ron Jaworski, former quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles
If your team isn’t performing the way you’d like, you can also take solace in the words of Barry Sanders, former Detroit Lions running back: “Life doesn’t stop with football.”
Have a favorite motivational quote, football-related or otherwise? Share it with us in the comments.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy:
- 10 Uplifting Quotes to Say to Yourself Every Morning
- How to Make a Vision Board (And Why You Should!)
- #MIKidsCan Monday: 5 Things to Remember When Giving Your Kids a Pep Talk
Photo credit: Daniel X. O’Neil
This blog is part of BCBSM’s #MIKidsCan Catch campaign aimed at celebrating the moments inspired by the game of football. Share your football photos on Instagram using #MIKidsCan and #Contest for a chance to score autographed gear, jerseys, game tickets and more. For more information and official rules visit ahealthiermichigan.org/mikidscan.