Spring is here and it is finally baseball season, we love the excuse to get outside and catch a game! The Detroit Tigers just kicked off their season at Comerica Park, getting everyone excited for baseball season, but they aren’t the only baseball team in Michigan.
When I was a student at Michigan State University, my friends and I would go to downtown Lansing to watch the Lugnuts play when the weather got warmer. It’s fun to go see a minor league team play because you can get closer to the action and the ticket prices tend to be easier on your wallet.
We put together a list of the other teams you can see play around the state this summer:
- Lansing Lugnuts – The Lugnuts are a class A minor league baseball team based in Lansing, affiliated with the Toronto Blue Jays. The stadium is right down the street from the capitol building in downtown Lansing.
- Great Lakes Loons – The Loons are a Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers in the Midwest League. They play at the Dow Diamond in Midland.
- Traverse City Beach Bums – If you are in Northern Michigan check out the Beach Bums, they play in Traverse City. They are not affiliated with a Major League Baseball team, but they are a professional baseball team in the Frontier League.
- West Michigan Whitecaps – If you are a Tiger’s fan, this is the team for you. The Whitecaps are a Class A minor league baseball team affiliated with the Detroit Tigers. They play in Grand Rapids. Did you know Justin Verlander has a younger brother, Ben Verlander, who plays as an outfielder on the team?
- Kalamazoo Growlers - The Growlers are the newest addition to the baseball teams around Michigan. They are based in Kalamazoo, MI and play in the Northwoods League, a collegiate summer baseball league.
If you make it to a game this year, check out this video on how to have a healthier experience at the ballpark.
Have you seen any of these teams play? What’s your favorite team?
Photo credit: Paul Martinez