Unless you happen to work as a professional meditator, you probably get a little stressed out at work. Deadlines, non-stop meetings and angry bosses can get anyone’s anxiety going. Thankfully, there are some quick and easy ways to feel more zen-like at the office. Here are my top five ways to quickly go from riled up to relaxed.
1. Take a deep breath. When you’re feeling like you’re ready to explode, give yourself a five-minute break to focus on your breathing. Sit up straight, close your eyes and place both feet on the floor. Begin by slowly inhaling through your nose. Think about your breath starting in your stomach and working its way up to the top of your head. Hold it for a beat then reverse the process by exhaling through your mouth and feeling your breath work its way back down your body.
2. Laugh out loud. Having a hearty chuckle can lower the stress hormone cortisol while also increasing mood-boosting endorphins. And that’s not all! Laughter may also help lower your blood pressure, improve blood flow and oxygenation of the blood and reduce your chances of getting a cold. Not feeling funny? Go to Buzzfeed for a guaranteed giggle.
3. Reach out. Having a strong support system is one of the most powerful ways to deal with pressure. Talking to others helps you break down whatever is stressing you out so you aren’t so overwhelmed. With that said, try to vent to someone who isn’t in your office so that you don’t find yourself in hot water for something you said in a heated rant.
4. Lose yourself in a favorite tune. Listening to music is a great way to fend off stress because it provides a mental distraction, eases muscle tension and decreases stress hormones like cortisol. Pop in some small earphones and keep the volume low enough that nobody else can hear it.
5. Bust a move. Pretty much any form of exercise can ease stress and anxiety by helping your brain release endorphins. You probably aren’t going to want to work up a sweat, but get up and take a quick lap around the block or try a few desk yoga poses. You can even hit the gym during your lunch break if you have the time!
Photo credit: Victor1558