You probably already know that eggs are a great way to start your day and fill up on protein. But egg whites do the same – and for a lot less fat and cholesterol. While one large egg has almost all the cholesterol allowed in a day, egg whites have no cholesterol, no fat, 4 grams of protein, and only 16 calories.
Our favorite way to eat them on their own is to hard-boil them in the oven, which makes it super easy to pop out the yolk. But egg whites can also be used in all sorts of delicious, healthy dishes. Here are some of our favorite recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert:
- 1 carton of egg whites or 24 egg whites
- Your choice of veggies, meat and cheese. Options include:
- Baby spinach
- Chopped onion
- Chopped red pepper
- Chopped jalapeno
- Chopped ham or Canadian bacon
- Chopped mushrooms
- Sriracha sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and fill the bottom of each cup with your choice of vegetables, cheese and meat. The amount is up to you; just avoid overfilling the cups.
- Top each cup with 1/3 cup liquid egg whites or 2 egg whites.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Immediately remove eggs from muffin pan and let cool on a rack. Once cool, place 2 muffins in a ziploc bag. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To eat, remove muffins from bag and microwave for 1 minute.
Nutritional Information (Makes 12 muffins; Includes all above ingredients)
Per serving: 69 calories; 1.8g total fat; 324mg sodium; 1.9g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 11g protein
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon diced celery
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and remove from heat. Keep eggs in pot for 20 minutes.
- Remove eggs from pot, run under cold water, and peel. Toss out the yolks. Chop egg whites.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites with remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Information (Makes 4 servings)
Per serving: 77.5 calories; 4.9g total fat; 170mg sodium; 1.1g carbohydrates; 0.2g fiber; 6.8g protein
- 3 tilapia fillets
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each tilapia fillet into four pieces by cutting them in half across and then in half lengthwise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg whites in a shallow bowl and place bread crumbs, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl. Dip each fish stick in egg whites and then in the bread crumb mixture, pressing with your fingers to stick the bread crumbs to the fish. Place on wire rack and coat with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake another 10 minutes. Serve hot with favorite dip.
Nutritional Information (Makes 12 fish sticks)
Per serving: 123 calories; 3.7g total fat; 230mg sodium; 10.2g carbohydrates; 0.7g fiber; 12g protein
Guilt-Free Pumpkin Pie
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or 4 to 6 egg whites)
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, and egg whites. Whisk together until well-blended and pour mixture into crust.
- Bake 20 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 35 minutes. Pie will be done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If edge of pie crust gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes. Cool pie completely on wire rack.
Nutritional Information (Makes 8 servings)
Per serving: 274.6 calories; 7.6g total fat; 257mg sodium; 53.6g carbohydrates; 0.6g fiber; 6.5g protein
Photo credit: woodleywonderworks