The mustaches are symbols of a nationwide movement referred to as “Movember.” Championed by the Movember Foundation, the goal is to “change the face of men’s health” by raising awareness among men of the dangers of health risks that go undetected and untreated.
In honor of this month, take control of your own health by following this checklist to a healthy Movember:
- Get in for that annual check-up: Annual check-ups are critical. Knowing your normal, healthy body makes it easier to identify and treat problems if they arise.
- Know your risks: Race, family history, diet, workplace exposures and nationality are just a few of the risk factors related to men’s health issues. Talk to your doctor about your risk, and what you can do to lower the factors in your control.
- Learn the symptoms: Talk to your doctor to see what red flags you should watch out for, given your current health status and risks. Being able to identify cancer at its earliest, most treatable stage will give you the greatest chance of survival.
- Commit to a healthier lifestyle: Men can lower their risk for prostate cancer by not smoking, maintaining a healthy diet, staying physically active, and seeing your doctor regularly to maintain overall good health.
- Register your Mo: You can participate in Movember by yourself or on a team. Whichever you choose, make sure you register your Mo at Movember.com/register.
- #ShoYoMo on Facebook: Share your mustache pictures with BCBSM on Facebook to win a meet and greet with Matthew Stafford and admission to Lions practice!