HMO. Health maintenance organization. To those of us who work for or have HMO health insurance, it means that there’s a huge emphasis on preventive care. During the fall and winter, being an HMO member means that you’ll hear how important it is to get your flu shot.
With that said, Blue Care Network is making it even easier and more rewarding for our members to get their flu shot. Why? Because the flu can cause serious problems for millions. For instance, did you know that:
- It’s projected that up to sixty-three million Americans will get the flu this season.
- Over 111 million workdays are lost each year to the flu.
- One study reveals that parents of children under five had flu-related medical expenses ranging from under $300 to about $4,000 and missed between 11 and 73 hours of work to care for their children.
- Every year, 20,000 children five and under are hospitalized with flu complications such as pneumonia.
How can you protect yourself from the flu? Get your flu shot! All Blue Care Network members can receive a flu shot at no cost, but, should you visit your PCP to get yours, a copay may apply.
Easier to get:
We want you to be healthy, to prevent illness, which is why we’ve made it even easier for BCN members to get their free flu shot at a participating pharmacy. Even members who don’t have BCN pharmacy coverage can go to a participating pharmacy to get one.
Here’s how to get your free flu shot at the pharmacy:
- Contact your pharmacy to see if they provide flu shots on site.
- Ask they participate with Blue Care Network
- If they do, simply bring the billing information below with you to the pharmacy:
- Rx BIN – 610014
- Rx Group – MiBCNRX
- BCN Enrollee ID (this is on your member ID card)
It’s that simple: Call. Ask. Go.
We believe that the flu shot is so important to maintaining good health, that all Blue Care Network members 18 and older are eligible to enter a drawing to win one of four iPads.
Here’s how you can enter the drawing:
- Visit bcbsm.com/flushotbcn
- Fill in the required information
- Click SUBMIT
- Flu shots are free, but if you get yours at your PCP’s office, copays may apply.
- You can only enter once.
- You must be a BCN member who is 18 or older.
- You may request a paper entry form by calling our BlueHealthConnection® message line at 1-800-637-2972.
- Entry forms must be submitted online or postmarked by March 1, 2014.
- Winning entrants will be notified in April 2014.
- For more information, call our BlueHealthConnection® message line at 1-800-637-2972. TTY users should call 1-800-257-9980.
- Blue Care Network and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan employees, spouses and dependents are not eligible for this giveaway.
- While we highly encourage you to get your annual flu shot, it is not required to enter the giveaway.
What are you waiting for? Get your flu shot today!
Photo credit: Taryn Szydlowski