A Healthier Michigan’s A-Z Guide to Michigan Wineries: 2013 Upper Peninsula edition
So far we’ve served up a flight of wines from the East, the West, and the Central regions of Michigan. In this, our final installment of A Healthier Michigan’s A-Z Guide to Michigan Wineries, our virtual tour stops off in Michigan’s upper peninsula. Though fewer in numbers, much like their beer brewing U.P. brethren, the Yoopers are no less serious about producing amazing Michigan wine.
- Carrousel Winery – South Range: At Carrousel Winery you can get involved in the process of making your own wines and even make your own custom label. Their offerings provide a unique opportunity for any wine enthusiast to sample a broad array of wines from around the globe.
- Garden Bay Winery – Garden: Garden Bay crafts traditional grape variety wines and Jardin de vin fruit wines. Garden Bay Wines are made from European grape varieties that have been carefully selected for their ability to thrive in the U.P’.s climate. Only these premium Michigan grown grapes are used for Garden Bay wines, resulting in a world-class, quality wine.
- Garden Bay Winery Tasting Room – Munising: Garden Bay Winery’s Tasting Room has but one goal: to serve the highest quality wines, produced in small batches from Michigan fruit.
- Leigh’s Garden Winery – Escanaba: Cold climate grapes and other northern-grown fruits highlight the wines made at Leigh’s Garden. The winery is open seasonally: Tuesdays through Saturdays, April through August: 11 am to 6 pm and September through December: 1 pm to 6 pm. Tours are available.
- Mackinaw Trail Winery – Manisitique: Mackinaw Trail Winery’s charming marina setting gives way to breathtaking views of unspoiled beaches in the heart of Michigan’s upper peninsula. They harvest their grapes from all around the state of Michigan and then transport them to their winery.
- Northern Sun Winery – Bark River: Anthony Vineyards sits on over 3.5 acres with nearly 3,000 vines. The Mediterranean style cottage disguises a tasting room while the fully equipped below ground cellar holds the excellent wines to be dispensed to wine lovers. Special events and weddings can also be hosted on the vineyard’s grounds.
- S U & D Winery – Marquette: Marquette made white, red and grape base fruit flavored wines. Unique wine gifts, home wine making supplies and Make your own wine.
- Threefold Vine Winery – Garden: Situated on the Garden Peninsula, Threefold Vine keeps it simple: they make wine made from grapes grown in the Upper Peninsula. Pay them a visit to sample their exclusively U.P. grown and made wines.
Photo credit: soapbeard