From Halloween Hustles to the Free Press Marathon: Your guide to races throughout Michigan this October
With the changing leaves and fall scenery, you’re likely to have a beautiful view while running a race this month. Whether you’re tackling all 26.2 miles of the Detroit Free Press Marathon, cheering on friends at the Zombie Dash, or running/walking a local 5K, this time of the year in Michigan is perfect for any distance or fitness level.
Here are some upcoming races where you can run, walk, cheer or volunteer over the next few weeks:
Upper Peninsula and Mackinac Island
- October 5: Challenge yourself at the 3rd Annual Crabby Apple Road Race with a hillier 8K course on Mackinac Island.
- October 5: Support the Save Keweenaw Beaches effort at this year’s Fall Color Classic 8K in Keweenaw.
- October 5: Cheer on the Harvest Half Marathon runners in the UP near Marquette.
- October 12: Run along the Mackinaw Bridge at this year’s Mackinaw Fall Colors Bridge Run in Mackinaw City.
- October 26: Join more than 2,500 participants running and walking along the inside trails of Mackinac Island at the 18th Annual Great Turtle Half.
- October 6: Keep those runners awake by decorating supportive signs at the Sleeping Bear Marathon run in Leelanau.
- October 12: Before you hit the Halloween candy, hit the pavement and join the Bark in the Dark 5K Run/Walk – Grand Rapids
- October 26: Start the Halloween weekend with Manistee’s Boos, Brews & Brats Zombie Run.
- October 26: Traverse City Zombie Run 5K offers plenty of tricks and treats for the weekend before Halloween.
- October 26: Dodge zombies looking for “fast food” and race against darkness at this year’s Zombie Dash 5K in Grand Rapids.
- October 5: Great Pumpkin Pursuit supports academic scholarships for Monroe County Community College students.
- October 6: Support cancer research and awareness at Detroit’s Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5K.
- October 20: Attracting more than 25,000 participants, the Detroit Free Press Marathon is a fun event to bring the family to and support amazing athletes.
- October 26: Dress the family (and dogs!) up in costumes for the Halloween Hustle 5K & 10K in Shelby Township.
- October 27: You’re sure to have a “wicked” good time at Plymouth’s Wicked Halloween Run.
- October 5: Try the newest Frankenmuth road race, the Bridge Race Half Marathon & 5K.
- October 5: After completing the Octoberfest Beer Run 5K in Midland, runners over the age of 21 can enjoy a traditional Oktoberfest festival.
- October 6: Celebrate University of Michigan’s homecoming with the first annual Homecoming Hustle 5K.
- October 12: Wiard’s Orchard, voted number one horror attraction in Michigan, hosts Run, Scream, Run 5K & 10K in Ypsilanti.
- October 13: Enjoy the Halloween Hustle 5K in Lansing with treats, games and activities to help raise money for at risk children in Ingham County.
- October 13: Qualify for the Boston Marathon, enjoy the Falling Waters Trail or take a walk with the family at Concord’s 5th Annual Wild Life Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K.
Will we see you on the course at any of these upcoming races? Visit our Google+ page for more race day tips, motivation, nutrition advice and all things running in the Mitten State.
Photo credit: hynkle