We began our tour of Michigan’s wineries on the eastern side of the state. For this installment of the A Healthier Michigan A-Z Guide to Michigan Wineries, we head west.
- 12 Corners Vineyards – South Haven Tasting Room – South Haven: 12 Corners Vineyards tasting room is located in South Haven, just steps from Lake Michigan. Here you can sample the many varieties produced by 12 Corners at their benton Harbor winery.
- 12 Corners Vineyards & Winery – Benton Harbor: The hilltop winery is surrounded by 30 acres of vineyards. Guests can sample the wines in one of many outdoor seating areas that overlook the vineyards.
- Baroda Founders Wine Cellar – Baroda: With a selection that ranges from classic red and white varieties to fruit-enhanced and dessert wines, Baroda Founders Wine Cellar has a wine for every palette and occasion.
- Cascade Winery & Jaden James Brewery – Grand Rapids: Cascade offers a full assortment of wines including classic red, white, and blush varietals, as well as dessert wines. Additionally delectable fruit wines, made with fruits grown at local orchards and farms fills out their collection.
- Cherry Creek Cellars – Albion: From Bordeaux blends to their now famous Fetter Hahn- Black Raspberry Cordial, Cherry Creek features a dozen wide ranging wines. This family run Vineyard and winery serves their premium handcrafted wines in Cellars’ intimate tasting room.
- Cody Kresta Vineyard & Winery – Mattawan: Another small, family owned and operated winery, Cody Kresta specializes in handcrafted wines. All of their wines are produced using grapes from the Lake Michigan Shore Appellation, including their own estate grown grapes.
- Contessa Wine Cellars – Coloma: Contessa Wine Cellars offers the best of old world charm and modern amenities in its Italian villa inspired tasting room. Tony Peterson, a third generation wine maker, serves up Contessa’s vast selection of fine wines with artistic style on site.
- Domaine Berrien Cellars – Berrien Springs: Domaine Berrien Cellars winery is hidden among the grapevines on the family’s 80-acre farm. All wines are handcrafted and bottled on the estate from grapes harvested from their vineyards. Wines are available for tasting and sales.
- Fenn Valley Tasting Room – Saugatuck: Fenn Valley’s tasting room offers complimentary tastes of their award winning, namesake wines.
- Fenn Valley Vineyards – Fennville: This vineyard and winery produces a variety of still and sparkling wines. Tours, free wine tastings, picnic area, private event hosting, are all available by reservation.
- Free Run Cellars Tasting Room – Union Pier: Union Pier tasting room for Free Run Cellars unique selection of wines.
- Free Run Cellars Tasting Room – Saugatuck: The Saugatuck tasting room dedicated to serving the modern style wines created by Free Run Cellars.
- Free Run Cellars Vineyard & Tasting Room – Berrien Springs: Brothers Matthew and Christian Moersch, owners of Round Barn Winery, are trying something different with Free Run Cellars. Wines like thier Muscato Frizzante, Cabernet Franc and Dry Gewurztraminer explore new winemaking and vineyard techniques.
- Glass Creek Winery – Hastings: Glass Creek Winery is a small family run winery offering a variety of wines like their dry, oak-aged cabernet sauvignon and other sweet, fruit-based wines. They are located just five miles north of Hastings.
- Gravity – Baroda: A unique experience in wine tasting, Gravity does things a little different. Flights of wine (four samples) are paired and served with gourmet chocolates or cheeses. Spacious indoor and outdoor seating overlooks the vineyards and lake to enhance this unique experience!
- Hickory Creek Winery LLC – Buchanan: Hickory Creek offers a global perspective on winemaking. The ownership team has roots in three esteemed winemaking nations: America, Australia, and Germany. At Hickory Creek they create world class wines using grapes grown exclusively on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan’s eastern shore.
- Karma Vista Vineyards and Winery – Coloma: Just a few miles inland from Lake Michigan, atop one of the highest hillsides in Berrien County sits Karma Vista Vineyards and Winery, above the small town of Coloma. In the middle of the vineyard is their tasting room where they serve their wines “with a point of view.”
- Lake Effect Winery – Muskegon: Lake Effect Winery sits on Michigan’s west coast in beautiful, lakefront Muskegon County. They produce their unique wines by incorporating top quality Michigan fruits and berries.
- Lake Effect Winery Tasting Room – Muskegon: Lake Effect Winery produces its 19 varieties of fruit wines made from premium Michigan fruits and berries. Their winemaking process is sulfite free as well.
- Lawton Ridge Winery – Kalamazoo: Lawton ridge is a relatively new player in Michigan’s winery scene, offering 11 different selections in their tasting room. Stop in for a free tasting. Easy access from 131 or I94, Lawton ridge is a must stop on any wine tour.
- Lehman’s Orchard – Niles: Family owned since 1929, Lehman’s currently produces ten fruit wines, four grape wines, two fortified wines, one ice cider, six hard ciders, and four meads (honey wines), all exclusively with estate grown fruits.
- Lemon Creek Winery and Fruit Farm – Berrien Springs: Located in the Berrien County countryside, this exclusively family owned and operated winery operates on a quaint 300 acre farm. Offering over 24 different wines, made from nineteen different estate grown varietals, Lemon Creek has a wine for every palate.
- Lemon Creek Winery Grand Haven Tasting Room – Grand Haven: In the fall of 2010 Lemon Creek Winery opened the doors to their tasting room in Grand Haven, MI. Located on US-31, the tasting room draws wine enthusiasts from all over the country.
- McIntosh Apple Orchards , Cider Mill and Winery – South Haven: McIntosh offers premium fruit wines and draught ciders for tasting and sales. Their farm market and cider mill has farm tours and a self-pick orchard. Additionally, they feature local cheeses, artisan breads, cider, donuts, apple dumplings, jams, jellies, honey, and maple syrup.
- Michigan Beer Cellar – Sparta: A microbrewery, small winery and artisan distillery. They serve their brews, wines, and spirits along with light foods, with appetizers served anytime. Live music, juke box and pool table add to the brewpub feel.
- Peterson & Sons Winery – Kalamazoo: Peterson & Sons offer 35 natural wines, produced without sulfites, in their tasting room set in a relaxed country atmosphere. They are best known for their award winning fruit wines including apricot, black raspberry, cranberry, and wild elderberry.
- Pike 51 Brewing Co and Hudsonville Winery – Hudsonville: Hudsonville Winery showcases over 28 different house-made wines including a White Zinfandel, Merlot, Gewurztraminer. Additionally a selection of fruit wines such as peach, kiwi, pear, raspberry, green apple, pomegranate and black cherry are also available in their recently expanded tasting bar.
- Round Barn Winery and Distillery – Baroda: Complimentary tastes of their beer, wine and brandy selections are available for sampling at Round Barn. Round Barn is also available to host events like wine dinners, festivals, private parties or open houses throughout the year.
- Round Barn Winery’s Tasting Room – Saugatuck: Wine tasting only. With over 25 years of experience in the industry, Round Barn Winery has a varied and award-winning selection of wine, beer and distilled spirits, made proudly with produce from area orchards, vineyards and farms.
- Round Barn Winery’s Tasting Room – Union Pier: At the Union Pier tasting room, it’s all about their award-winning wines, freshly pressed apple cider and delicious, locally grown, fresh fruits.
- Sleeping Bear Winery, Bad Bear Brewing and Taste of Michigan Store Albion: Put off by wine snobbery? No poseurs allowed at Sleeping Bear; they have a cartoon bear on their Web site, how uppity can that be? Here you’ll find a wide variety of wines from classic Cabernets to their fruity Red Current and sweet Honey Dew. All are available for a free tasting.
- St. Julian Wine Company Tasting Room – Union Pier – Union Pier: The knowledgeable staff makes the experience fun and educational for all ages. In addition to tasting Michigan’s finest wines, champagnes, and alcohol free juices you will also learn more about St. Julian’s products and any related items.
- St. Julian Winery – Paw Paw: With such rich history, St. Julian still produces some of their old favorites: Sholom Kosher Wine and their award-winning Solera Cream Sherry. Now, St. Julian has focused on producing a new line of single varietal wines. The grapes used come from the finest vineyards in Southwest Michigan.
- Tabor Hill Champagne Cellar – Bridgman: Inside the austere wine house you will find Tabor Hill’s cordial staff, ready to serve your wines, sparkling wines and sparkling juices and answer any of your questions.
- Tabor Hill Wine Port – Saugatuck: All of Tabor Hill’s selection of wines, sparkling wines, sparkling wines and sparkling juices are available for tasting and sale in this beautiful setting, surrounded by excellent restaurants, inns and specialty stores. Specialty wine and food shopping is available on the premises as well.
- Tabor Hill Winery & Restaurant – Buchanan: Explore the picturesque winery on the casual walking tour that takes you along the vineyard, and through rows of oaken casks that hold the aging wines while learning how Tabor Hill makes their fine wines. After the tour you are encouraged to visit the tasting rooms to sample the wines.
- Tempo Vino Winery – Kalamazoo: In the heart of downtown Kalamazoo lies Tempo Vino Winery: an uncommon experience for all wine lovers, from the fledgling to the particular expert. Tempo Vino procures grapes from all over the world in producing their exquisite small batches.
- The Country Mill – Charlotte: Apples, apples everywhere! Eaton County’s first and only winery features a farm market, cider mill, bakery and gift shop. The Country Mill is now making and bottling apple wines at the cider mill.
- The Sangria Shop – Portage: The Sangria Shop, the very first winery in the City of Portage, is family owned and operated and is devoted to producing authentic Sangria. Sangria is a Spanish wine and fruit drink that is both refreshing and easy to enjoy with family and friends.
- Vander Mill Cider Mill & Winery – Spring Lake: Vander Mill specializes in hard ciders and apple wines. In addition to their wines and ciders they offer a variety of specialty foods either made in-house or brought in from other local Michigan suppliers.
- Warner Vineyards Tasting Room – South Haven: Warner Vineyards offers a selection of 22 unique wine varieties. There is sure to be one or two that compliments your tastes. Call for days and hours open to sample their wines.
- Warner Vineyards Winery – Paw Paw: Situated on the banks of the stunning Paw Paw River is the Warner Vineyards Winery. Here they offer a variety of wines, champagnes and alcohol free sparkling fruit juices. Tours and tastings available.
- White Pine Winery Tasting Room – Saint Joseph: White Pine Winery’s tasting room is open for wine sampling and purchases. The winery is aims to produce the very best wines from the very best grapes that southwest Michigan vineyards grow.
Photo credit: angelocesare