#HealthyMurr: BCBSM social media manager David Murray begins his pursuit of healthiness
What does it truly take to live a healthy lifestyle ?
Throughout the year David will adopt the healthy tips and suggestions we share here on A Healthier Michigan. He will also participate in some of the BCBSM-sponsored activities and programs held throughout the state, like the MI Healthier Tomorrow pledge to lose 10 percent of his body weight. More healthy challenges are in the pipeline, including getting a physical, keeping a food diary, taking a fitness test and more.
One of David’s first assignments was to pen a healthy manifesto. You can read his thoughts below.
Or at least that is what one website says. Based on my height I am supposed to weigh anywhere between 124 and 155 pounds. Now, I can’t recall the last time I weighed 155 pounds, though my mom thinks it was when I was in high school.
Today I weigh 220. I thought that was normal, but it’s not.
It appears I lead an unhealthy lifestyle. Even though I don’t smoke, no longer drink and have eliminated caffeine from my diet, I don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables, and I don’t exercise. Despite these setbacks, I do try to limit my doughnut intake to 5-6 per day. (Kidding!)
No, I am not healthy. But I want to be. Therefore, starting today I promise to:
- Learn what it takes to live a healthy lifestyle
- Do my best to live that healthy lifestyle
- Take this one day at a time
- Understand that this is a long-term commitment
- Understand that living healthy can be fun
- Not kill my health coach
- Enjoy things I once disliked, like exercise and broccoli
- Avoid foods and habits that some say are bad for me
- Limit my doughnut intake to 1-2 per day
Best of luck, David!