One of the oft-heard knocks on the city of Detroit is the lack of retail shopping options, especially when Christmas rolls around. And it is true there are only two big-box retail stores that have a presence in the Motor City — Home Depot and Kmart — so many people assume that there is no place for them to go shopping within the city limits.
That could not be further from the truth. With a little digging, you can find plenty of great places to go shopping and pick up gifts you will never find at a big-box store. Here are nine stores worth your trip to the city this holiday season.
- City Bird — Their Detroit skyline ornaments are great gifts for any Detroitaphile like myself.
- The Peacock Room — Billed as a women’s clothing boutique, this place is a lifesaver for men looking for something for the fairer sex. The staff is always willing to talk gift ideas through before you purchase the gift and they will do the gift-wrapping for you.
- Spiral Collective — The collective houses a few different businesses, making it a great place to pick up a unique art piece or a nice book to curl up with.
- Detroit Gallery of Contemporary Crafts — As a bonus, you get to walk through the Fisher Building, one of the most impressive examples of Art Deco architecture in the world.
- Germack Pistachio Company Store — If you want a pure Detroit experience, this place needs to be on your list. It’s still family owned and their new location has an outstanding coffee shop right next door.
- Pure Detroit — Speaking of Pure Detroit, this is a one-stop-shop for anyone on your list who needs a little more of the Motor City in his or her life.
- Simply Casual — Livernois Avenue, Detroit’s Avenue of Fashion, is making a comeback and Simply Casual is smack in the middle of the action. Just a few doors down is 1917 American Bistro, a great place to grab dinner after a long day of shopping.
- Good People Popcorn — Good people. Good popcorn. What more do you need to know?
- Woofbridge Feed + Supply — There are a few great things about Woofbridge Feed + Supply: 1, They are located inside Canine To Five, which is one of the best doggy-daycare facilities around. 2, Everything you need to give Fido a merry Christmas can be purchased at one shop.
Where do you plan on shopping in Detroit for your holiday gifts this year?
Photo credit: JasonParis