Thanksgiving is devoted to celebrating what you’re thankful for, which makes it a perfect opportunity to lend a helping hand to the less fortunate among us. While many soup kitchens, homeless shelters, food pantries and the like have already filled their volunteer slots for Thanksgiving Day, there are still opportunities to pitch in on or around that date:
Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries
Sign up here to serve lunch or dinner or find more details:
- Nov. 1 — Nov. 30, Various Time Slots Serving Meals – Genesis House III
- Nov. 1 – Nov. 30, Various Time Slots Serving Meals – Detroit Rescue Mission
- Nov. 1 – Nov. 30, Various Time Slots Serving Meals – Christian Guidance Center
- Nov. 1 – Nov. 30, Various Time Slots Serving Meals – Oasis
Capuchin Soup Kitchen
There are many volunteer opportunities at the Capuchin Soup Kitchen. Some of the most popular jobs include:
- Serving meals and assisting in the kitchens
- Sorting and sizing clothing
- Preparing emergency food packages
- Thanksgiving Basket Giveaway
- Christmas Coat Program
- Assisting at our special events held throughout the year
Together We Can Food Drive
Wednesday, Nov. 23 at 10 a.m.
Art Van Furniture Customer Service Center, Warren
Join Art Van Furniture and WXYZ- TV Channel 7 to help feed the hungry this holiday season by collecting food for Gleaners Community Food Bank.
Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Halftime Show Stage Crew
Thursday, Nov. 24 at 9 a.m.
Ford Field, Detroit
Volunteer by helping with field staging and presentation at the Detroit Lions/United Way Halftime Spectacular.
Mel Trotter Ministries
Volunteering slots are filled for Thanksgiving, but the rescue mission is accepting donations through its Brown Bag Food Drive through Dec. 2 at any Mel Trotter, Biggby Coffee or Chemical Bank location. Other volunteering opportunities are listed here.
The Peoples Church of East Lansing also lists a number of opportunities for volunteering in the Lansing area.
The Saginaw News has a rundown of volunteering opportunities in that region.
What did I miss? Tell us in the comments area below, and have a happy, gratifying Thanksgiving.
Photo by notladj