9 Detroit-Area Retailers, Attractions That Offer Senior Citizen Discounts
According to the online legal dictionary, “People are said to be senior citizens when they reach the age of sixty or sixty-five because those are the ages at which most people retire from the workforce.” Approximately 128,000 Detroit citizens alone are 65 and older; unfortunately a Wayne State University study suggests that one in three Michigan seniors live at or below a basic level of economic security.
Detroit’s “Traditionalist Generation” — the veterans, the retired educators, the former politicians, road and bridge builders and even the celebrities — have given so much to the community at large. Therefore, it is imperative that our city and the metro Detroit region support our senior citizens.
A list of businesses that provide senior citizen discounts in the metro Detroit region can be found below:
- Detroit Windsor Dance Academy offers seniors discounts for dance lessons. This studio, located in the New Center One building on West Grand Boulevard, offers ballet, jazz, tap, modern jazz/funk and hip hop classes and has been serving Detroit for over 25 years.
- Great Clips Hair Salon is a franchise chain hair salon, so discounts vary by location. There are several chains located in metropolitan Detroit, and discounts are offered to seniors age 60 and older.
- Hermann’s Bakery has the oldest storefront in the shopping district of downtown Royal Oak. The bakery offers tarts, cookies, cakes and breads all made from scratch. It also provides lunch options for those who aren’t looking to satisfy a sweet tooth.
- Uptown Entertainment is a chain of multiplexes with two theaters in downtown Birmingham and a third at the Renaissance Center in Detroit. Uptown offers discounted tickets to seniors for daily showtimes starting at 6 p.m. or later.
- Sheehan’s on the Green is a Plymouth eatery appropriate for active seniors who are interested in an Irish bar atmosphere, drinks, and lots of socialization.
- Stagecrafter’s Baldwin Theatre in Royal Oak allows members of the community to volunteer and allow others to enjoy their theatrical talents, season tickets are also available.
- The Detroit Zoo offers discounts to seniors age 62 and older, and grandparents get special membership rates that cover admission for themselves and grandkids under age 18 or under.
- The Henry Ford Museum offers five major attractions, including an IMAX theatre. This museum has a mission of showcasing interesting artifacts that spark new ideas, and exude creativity.
- Tim Hortons discounts vary by location.
If you are a “traditionalist,” where do you go to take advantage of discounts?
Photo Credit: kate.gardiner