By Jennifer Kluge
COO, Michigan Business & Professional Association
It is not surprising to learn that stress affects employees in substantive ways. One-quarter of workers have taken a day off from work to cope with stress and 43 percent of adults suffer from the negative health effects of stress.
The good news is that managers and business owners can help employees by offering an environment that limits stress.
• Make sure expectations of a worker are in line with their talents and career goals.
• Provide opportunities for social interaction.
• Offer flexible work conditions and scheduling.
• Allow employees to participate in decision-making.
• Make the job environment fun and motivational.
• Provide wellness programs that integrate healthy living and stress management.
Try putting just one of these ideas into place and you should start seeing happier, and less stressed, employees at work.